On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 11:45:05AM -0400, Salz, Rich wrote:

> A quick check of some of our customers shows that out of 4200
> SSL certs, 820 have a wildcard CN.

Right, I think this makes particular sense for Akamai customers,
for whom you likely host multiple related web sites and coordinating
the deployment of multiple certs is likely often too complex.

I doubt that Akamai is hosting very many public-facing customer
LDAP servers though.  In any case, wildcard CNs are a fact of life
that even OpenLDAP has accepted, so the plan is "what makes sense"
rather than "literal 6125 LDAP adherence".

Thanks.

--
        Viktor.