On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 06:00:44PM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:

> That's for the merge commit.  But I assume that all the patches
> that got merged are now visible in Linus's tree with authors
> different than Linus.

Of course.  That's because it was their work, and their commits.

It may be that the other question that Ben was asking was if there was
a way to make sure that the fact that a merge took place, since the
merge commit can get committed if it wasn't necessary (i.e., a
"fast-forward merge").

You can force a merge commit to always be present by using the --no-ff
(no fast forward) option.  Or contrawise, if you're a downstream
developer and you want to make sure you don't accidentally create a
merge commit, you use the --ff-only option to "git pull":

       --no-ff
           Create a merge commit even when the merge resolves as a
           fast-forward. This is the default behaviour when merging an
           annotated (and possibly signed) tag.

       --ff-only
           Refuse to merge and exit with a non-zero status unless the current
           HEAD is already up-to-date or the merge can be resolved as a
           fast-forward.

If the merge commit is there, then it becomes plain who actually did
the merging, which I assume is the information Ben wanted to preserve
so it would be clear who did what.

                                                - Ted