Examining performance bottlenecks on a busy server, we discovered that
connections are being forced to serialize due to calls to
DH_generate_key.  I looked through the source, and if I understand it
correctly, the code locks a common DH mutex when it uses Montgomery
Multiplication, and due to the way it sets a flag, it always does.

But I have not yet found any reason why this requires critical section
protection.  I do not see any global variables that are being
manipulated by the call, nor any resource contention.  Is it possible
that the mutex lock is a holdover from earlier code?  Could this locking
behavior be removed?