After upgrading to OpenSSL 1.0.1h, I've found now that when initiating startTLS connections to a system linked to OpenSSL 1.0.1h, it always tries to do certificate auth with the client. This causes a lot of failures, for example with postfix.

I.e., I initiate a connection to port 587 on the postfix server with startTLS. Before I even get to the stage of authenticating as a user, it tries SSL cert auth, and drops the client due to "unknown CA", which, if I were trying to do cert auth would make sense, but I'm not trying to do cert auth at all, I'm just trying to connect to the port. Is this a known bug in 1.0.1h? Any suggestions on how to turn off this sudden new bit to always try cert auth, regardless of whether or not it is desired?

Thanks!

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount