On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 7:37 AM, Kurt Roeckx <k...@roeckx.be> wrote:
> Does anybody have an idea why it's trying to do that, and why we
> shouldn't just do SO_REUSEADDR the first time?  Was there some
> OS that maybe did strange things when trying to use SO_REUSEADDR
> and it was already in use?

FWLIW: I've seen this pattern in some other proprietary software,
where they try hard to not set SO_REUSEADDR unless it appears needed
due to a bind failure. But whatever they were working around, it is
detrimental to modern Linux where the outgoing TIME_WAIT socket has to
also have been opened with SO_REUSEADDR for the reuse to be allowed.