On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 09:37:13AM -0400, Massimiliano Pala wrote:

> working on porting my libpki implementation (based on OpenSSL) to MacOS I
> found out an issue that is not really related to the code itself but the
> distributed version in the SDK.

Apple ships OpenSSL 0.9.8.

> In particular, I found out that several functions' signatures have been
> altered in their return codes. This is particularly scary as they removed
> the ability to verify the return code by changing the return type to void.
> An example of this is: HMAC_Init_ex(), HMAC_Update(), HMAC_Final().

The OpenSSL 0.9.8 interface did not return errors from these functions:

    commit 87d52468aa600e02326e13f01331e1f3b8602ed0
    Author: Dr. Stephen Henson <st...@openssl.org>
    Date:   Sun Nov 2 16:00:39 2008 +0000

        Update HMAC functions to return an error where relevant.

$ git branch --contains 87d52468aa600e02326e13f01331e1f3b8602ed0
  OpenSSL_1_0_0-stable
  OpenSSL_1_0_1-stable
  OpenSSL_1_0_2-stable
* master

> I am not sure if this is an issue or if any of the people subscribed here
> from Apple could explain why they changed an API that is not theirs and that
> causes portability issues of applications that are based on OpenSSL.

Apple did not change this interface, they provide an older version.
OpenSSL 0.9.8 and 1.0.0 are neither source nor binary compatible.
Some porting is required between these releases.

--
        Viktor.