Sorry for the extra message but my description below is not quite correct. The
problem is not that the key size is > 4096. It seems to happen whenever the key
size is not a multiple of 8.

Graeme

From: owner-openssl-...@openssl.org [mailto:owner-openssl-...@openssl.org] On
Behalf Of Perrow, Graeme
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2014 11:50 AM
To: openssl-dev@openssl.org
Subject: FIPS version of RSA_generate_key_ex puts FIPS library in a bad state

If I attempt to create an RSA key pair with a size of >4096 bits using the FIPS
library (FIPS 2.0.5, OpenSSL 1.0.1h), I get an error ("data too large for
modulus"), but doing so seems to put the FIPS library into a bad state.
Subsequent calls return failure and the error stack indicates that the FIPS
self-test has failed.

Source for a short C program is attached. If I attempt to use a small key size
(say 500 bits), generating the key fails but subsequent actions are OK. A key
size between 1024 and 4096 works as expected. If I try to use a key size of
4097, generating the key fails but then subsequent FIPS calls also fail.

I am seeing this on both Windows 7 and Linux.

Graeme Perrow