On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 4:32 PM, Tim Hollebeek <tholleb...@trustwave.com> wrote:
> Have you considered moving to CMake?  It makes lots of the issues you discuss
> in the document just go away.  cmake should work on the vast majority of
> supported operating systems, if not all of them ...

Nope; wasn't aware of CMake before to be honest. That's not to say I'd
dismiss it out of hand, but I was constraining myself to maintaining
compatibility with the existing toolchain, meaning Configure+{BSD,GNU}
make. I got a long way maintaining compatibility between BSD and GNU,
but ditched BSD near the end because of the absence of pattern rules.
(Then again, do we really need to build sources in different
directories with different CFLAGS, etc., or is that just an artifact
of organic growth?)

I will say that Geoff Thorpe and I discussed our ideas at length over
the phone a few weeks back, and in a nutshell, what I've done here
could serve as prologue to the complete overhaul of the build system
that he has in mind. Some of what he described, if I remember
correctly, sounds similar to what little I've just looked up about the
CMake, but I don't recall him referring to it specifically. (He's
pinged me to let me know he'll be available to comment on my report
next week.)

Mike