Hi Rich,

Thanks for your explanation. Branching in git is extremely fast and
lightweight, which makes it excellent for feature developing without
disrupting anything :)
I wondered why the changes weren't applied onto the rsalz-monolith
branch in the official repository, since that branch already exists there.
A big advantage of having everything in the same official repo is that
developers who forked the repo can merge and/or cherry-pick changes onto
their own branches. Having to work with multiple upstream repositories
is, err, less-than-optimal and error-prone.

Would it be an idea to create branches in the official repo for (certain
classes of) bugfixes, which can be merged onto the respective branches
at set times ? For instance one for documentation fixes ? You could
merge these bugfix branches then also to onto your rsalz-monolith
branch, which would keep the repository nice and orderly.
Branches having lots of different commit types (features, bugfixes,
enhancements, changes) can diverge so much from the official branches
that it will get harder and harder for others to merge them onto forks
or other diverged branches without running into issues. A codebase as
large and as complex as openssl makes it already prone to versioning
errors (eg. fixes implemented in branch X but not in branch Y).

I'm eagerly awaiting the 'move' of your forked repo branch to the
official repository... I'd say the more branches in the official repo
the better!

Peter Mosmans