>>> Anyway. As nobody seems to be objecting, it sounds like we are going for
>>> combination of both alternatives? I.e. those who specify specific -march
>>> lower than armv7 would be excused from capability detection and run-time
>>> switch, and those who additionally specify "better" -Wa and
>>> corresponding -D, would be able to build universal binaries of their
>>> liking. I'll give it some extra time for others to ponder and make a
>>> suggestion. It would be easier to discuss details then.
>>
>> Attached is suggestion on how to implement this. [I thought it would
>> take more tweaking]. I scrapped -Wa, as -D__ARM_MAX_ARCH__=N was
>> sufficient. Most of what needs to be said is said in commentary in
>> ./Configure (see beginning of patch). But this is "most". There are
>> couple of controversial points that are likely to need clarification.
>> The reason for why I didn't add '.arch armv7-a' in all #if
>> __ARM_MAX_ARCH>=7 sections is because '.fpu neon' appears to be
>> sufficient to compile the code, while *not* having '.arch armv7-a'
>> (where possible) would allow to catch attempts to use new instructions
>> in places where it's inappropriate when building universal. Second
>> controversial point is that ARMv8 crypto is compiled even with
>> __ARM_MAX_ARCH__>=7. This is done so to say to popularize ARMv8 crypto
>> among those who won't read commentary section in Configure, as well as
>> among Android [and in future iOS] people. [Well, -D__ARM_MAX_ARCH__=8
>> would work there too, but there are even more likely to miss the memo].
>>

> I had a go with your patch, but I think there are still problems with
> the missing .arch armv7-a
> For instance, when building using a compiler whose default is armv5t
> and passing __ARM_MAX_ARCH__=8, I get the following build error
>
> arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -I.. -I../.. -I../modes -I../asn1 -I../evp
> -I../../include  -DOPENSSL_THREADS -D_REENTRANT -DDSO_DLFCN
> -DHAVE_DLFCN_H -D__ARM_MAX_ARCH__=8 -DTERMIO -O3 -Wall
> -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_GF2m -DSHA1_ASM -DSHA256_ASM
> -DSHA512_ASM -DAES_ASM -DBSAES_ASM -DGHASH_ASM -c   -c -o aesv8-armx.o
> aesv8-armx.S
> aesv8-armx.S: Assembler messages:
> aesv8-armx.S:574: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode
> `rev r8,r8'
> aesv8-armx.S:581: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode
> `rev r10,r10'
> aesv8-armx.S:584: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode
> `rev r12,r8'
> aesv8-armx.S:642: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode
> `rev r9,r9'
> aesv8-armx.S:648: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode
> `rev r10,r10'
> aesv8-armx.S:653: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode
> `rev r12,r8'
> make[2]: *** [aesv8-armx.o] Error 1
>
> I think leaving out the .arch armv7-a is more trouble than it's worth:
> there are no ARMv6 CPUs that support NEON anyway.

But it's not about NEON at all. Consider case similar to yours, i.e.
-march=armv5t -D__ARM_MAX_ARCH__=8. Then consider module that contains
two code paths, IALU that will execute on ARMv5 processor and NEON that
will execute on ARMv7. There are non-NEON[!] instructions I can't use in
IALU code path (rev is one of them) and I want assembler to tell me
that. As opposite to finding out from problem report after release. I
mean if '.arch armv7-a' is specified in code and I use such non-NEON
instruction *without* correct #if __ARM_ARCH__>=X, I won't notice it and
code will crash on ARMv5 processor in the field. Or in other words,
question was *when* do we want to notice that kind of mistakes. But I
understand the concern and will give it another consideration. .arch
seems to be positional in sense that it fails non-matching instructions
above it...

Thanks for feedback.