Error codes aren't part of the API. It's a bit of a grey area in some cases,
but for EVP_DecryptFinal_ex, you really should be checking the return value and
not relying on errors left on stack. In particular, reporting detailed
decryption errors was a historical mistake that has led to serious attacks;
it's a coding pattern we should eradicate. This particular change was made to
avoid a timing leak and provide callers an opportunity to proceed in constant
time. (But most callers won't care, it only affects mac-then-encrypt.)

In your case, it sounds like the right thing to do is fix the unittest to be
more robust. I'm going to reject this for now; I'll revisit if we get reports
that this is causing more widespread problems, though.

Cheers,
Emilia