Serious question: Is there any valid use case for heartbeats in TLS or
DTLS?
(With valid use case I mean something like "I use it for this system",
not answers like "you could use it for xy")

I asked this question in the heartbleed aftermath a couple of times and
never got any reasonable answer. I have the feeling the only reason
this extension exists is that someone needed a topic for his thesis.

If this extension isn't used then I think it shouldn't be fixed. It
should be removed. I think complexity is responsible for a large chunk
of the problems TLS has these days, therefore everything that can be
removed should be.

--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/