I agree with everything Viktor said. In particular that you should
continue to use SSLv23_method. Some additional comments below:

On 28/09/15 16:31, Tiantian Liu via RT wrote:

>                       sslerror = SSL_get_error(ssl, res);
>                       if (sslerror == SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ) {
>                               isexp = is_expired(exptime);
>                               if (isexp == 1) {
>                                       strcpy(error, "SSL connect error");
>                                       return 0;
>                               }
>                               continue;
>                       }
>                       strcpy(error, "SSL connect error");
>                       return 0;

You need to handle more that just SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ here. You should
also handle SSL_ERROR_WANT_WRITE. You could get either returned from a
call to SSL_connect.

Please can you supply a backtrace from your crash? Also a packet capture
between your application and the server would be useful.

Matt