*   Unfortunately, the issue isn't the compatibility of the license - they do
indeed look relatively compatible to me - and the discussion on this thread has
so far been about that.
  *   However the contributor license agreement requires that the copyright
owner grants such permission - it is the fundamental basis of contributor
agreements.

Yes, compatibility is important. CLA’s are required only for new code
contributed to the project, not for code incorporated from elsewhere.  So if
it’s compatible, CLA’s are not required.

At least, that was the position of the project and its former counsel during
the first two years of relicensing.  Perhaps the OMC should raise this issue
with current counsel if they disagree, but from the public statements on this
list, it seems all but one agree.

As an aside, I’ve contacted the author and am having a productive exchange.
Dimitry has seen the emails.