The Net_SSLeay1.03  "test.pl" does not go through on NT; due mostly
because a Perl process spawn is not supported the same way on NT..
(from what I recall)
I modified it and added some of the tests on my own...

You don't need a client certificate to connect to a remote site...

Make the Perl Net_SSLeay succeeds by removing some of the tests
which fail within test.pl ... after that, run the following under the
Net_SSLeay
examples directory:

perl get_page.pl www.cryptsoft.com 443 /

or

perl get_page.pl www.thawte.com 443 /

and you should see the home page html code as well as some SSL tracing
if you have enabled any...

You can enable Net_SSLeay tracing by adding the following in your Perl
program
(i.e. get_page.pl) :
$Net::SSLeay::trace = 3;

the tracing conventions being:
# 0=no warns, 1=only errors, 2=ciphers, 3=progress, 4=dump data

I can send you my test.pl if you want to...hope this helps,

I'm not sure you can use LWP with Net_SSLeay...Net_SSLeay writes HTTP
request on its own and that was enough for me...I think you may need
Crypt_SSLeay
in that case. I know it integrates with LWP...

--francois