On Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 03:17:32PM +0200, Goetz Babin-Ebell wrote:

> In OpenSSL 0.9.3a I get the folowing handshake error:
> (WindowsNT)
>
> <Logging from my program>
> SSL_connct: 11 to Host before/connect initialization
> SSL_connct: 11 to Host SSLv3 write client hello A
> SSL_read  : 11 to Host SSL3 alert fatal:handshake failure
> </Logging from my program>
> 165:error:14094410:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert handshake
> failure:.\ssl\s3_pkt.c:767:SSL alert number 40
>
> (at least Netscape fails, too)
>
> Does anybody know what fails ?

Both server and client are OpenSSL 0.9.3a?  It's hard to tell what is
going wrong if you don't provide the *server*-side error message ...
anyway, I've recently fixed various bugs in the client hello
processing, so you should try again with a server that uses the
current (0.9.5-dev) OpenSSL snapshot; this might help, and at least
chances are that the server will generate more useful error messages
than with versions up to 0.9.4.