From: Trembicki-Guy, Ed [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 1999 12:00 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Please Help: Newbie trying to understand cacert

Help!  Am I missing something?
The openssl utilities, s_server and s_client seem to work (with some errors
reported), but the third party app that I'm trying to use that wraps the
libraries still fails.

I built openssl-0.9.4 on HPUX 11 with -DNO_RSA.  The directory structure is
/dnbusr1/guye/ssl/openssl-0.9.4/{etc.}
>From the directory, /dnbusr1/guye/ssl/openssl-0.9.4/apps/, I followed the
instructions for creating a DSA CA, DSA parameters, DSA server & client
certs, and DH parameters as follows:

        openssl gendh -out dhparam.pem 1024
        openssl dsaparam 1024 -out dsa1024.pem
        openssl req -x509 -newkey dsa:dsa1024.pem -out dsaca.pem
        CA.sh -newca
        cp privkey.pem demoCA/private/cakey.pem
        cp dsaca.pem demoCA/cacert.pem
        openssl req -newkey dsa:dsa1024.pem -out newreq.pem
        CA.sh -signreq
        cat dhparam.pem newcert.pem privkey.pem > server.pem
        openssl req -newkey dsa:dsa1024.pem -out newreq.pem
        CA.sh -signreq
        cat dhparam.pem newcert.pem privkey.pem > client.pem
        cp client.pem ../server.pem

The last four command were to create a server.pem in a separate directory
for the s_client utility.
I ran the s_server and s_client utilities as follows:

        openssl 2>&1 | tee server.log
        OpenSSL> s_server -state -debug -verify 1 -CApath demoCA -CAfile
cacert.pem

and
        openssl 2>&1 | tee client.log
        OpenSSL> s_client -state -debug -verify 1 -CApath apps/demoCA
-CAfile apps/demoCA/cacert.pem

I have attached server.log and client.log files, which show some complaints
about no certificate (server log) and unable to get local issuer and verify
first certificate (client.log).  The utilities still proceed to the point
where what I type at the client is sent to the server and vice versa.  When
I try the same thing with the third party app, I get a connection failure.
With the limited logging support that it has (similar to the -state flag), I
get the following:

Server:
Failed Connection Attempt
SSL: 0 24576 HANDSHAKE_START
SSL: ACCEPT 24576 ACCEPT_LOOP
SSL: ACCEPT SSL3_SR_CLNT_HELLO_A ACCEPT_LOOP
SSL: ACCEPT SSL3_SW_SRVR_HELLO_A ACCEPT_LOOP
SSL: ACCEPT SSL3_SW_CERT_A ACCEPT_LOOP
SSL: ACCEPT SSL3_SW_KEY_EXCH_A ACCEPT_LOOP
SSL: ACCEPT SSL3_SW_SRVR_DONE_A ACCEPT_LOOP
SSL: ACCEPT SSL3_SW_FLUSH ACCEPT_EXIT

Client:
Connect Error: -1
SSL: 0 20480 HANDSHAKE_START
SSL: CONNECT 20480 CONNECT_LOOP
SSL: CONNECT SSL3_CW_CLNT_HELLO_A CONNECT_LOOP
SSL: CONNECT SSL3_CR_SRVR_HELLO_A CONNECT_EXIT

I believe the number 24576 (0x6000) equates to BEFORE|ACCEPT and 20480
(0x5000) equates to BEFORE|CONNECT.

I have also attached cacert.pem, server.pem and client.pem.
Can someone please tell me if I've done something wrong?  I thought maybe it
has something to do with cacert.pem, because when I try to load it in the
third party app* it returns an error structure with the following:

#PEM    109     108
#X509   112     9

which I believe translates to 109 = PEM_F_PEM_READ_BIO 108 =
PEM_R_NO_START_LINE
and 112 = X509_F_X509_LOAD_CRL_FILE 9 = ???

*the app appears to call the following library routines: X509_LOOKUP_file(),
X509_STORE_add_lookup() and X509_LOOKUP_ctrl, which returns 0, at which
point I retrieve the error structure.

I'm not even sure if this is what is preventing the connection, but any help
at all is most appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed Trembicki-Guy

p.s. The attached files are in PC format (cr/lf) as I ftp'ed them from the
Unix machine in ascii mode.