>> So, I added this to my apache.conf
>
> <Location /secure>
> SSLRequire ( true )
> </Location>

[snip]
> The problem is, after adding that configuration line, I can still go to
> /secure with my browser, and it doesn't start a SSL session.  I don't
> understand this at all - it seems really easy ... sslREQUIRE leads me to
> believe that the directory or file specified would open in the browser as
> SSL, and if the browser doesn't support it, it would not let it open at
all
> (because it is required).

I understand your confusion completely - that's exactly how I'd have thought
it would work: if you use an http:// URL then you get an insecure
connection, whereas if you use an https:// URL for the same web pages then
you get SSL. However, my understanding is that to *stop* an "http://" URL
from being obeyed by your webserver you have to actually *change* the URL on
receipt to the equivalent "https://" URL within your webserver on the fly,
*every* time a client browser tries the http:// version. The standard method
for doing this seems to be to make use of the mod_rewrite Apache module.

As far as I can see, the SSLRequire directive doesn't actually do anything
at all. But I must be missing something ... :-(

I''ve never done any of this, so I can't advise you on the use of
mod_rewrite.

And I too would be really grateful if Someone Who Understands could explain
the use of SSLRequire.

Cheers,
Nick
Systems Team, EDS Healthcare, Bristol, UK
Internet email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   tel:  +44 117 989 2941