With all due respect, Lee, I have not given any legal advice on the list
except a little "word of caution".  RSADSI has certainly sued people for
infringement of the of their patents; though maybe not simple users of RSA.
It seems to me that you are the one on the list giving legal advice, namely
advocating patent infringement.  I don't personally care if you want to put
your own company's financial stability (remember RSA Security's response to
your message a month or so ago: "So your mother raised a theif?") in
jeaopardy, but please don't blithely suggest to others that US patent law
and corporate patent attorneys are things that they can safely ignore.  They
may be: but is that a risk you feel comfortable advocating *others* to take
with what may be their sole livelihood?  Remember that damages in patent
infringement lawsuits are tripled when the infringement was willfull.

With regard to my legal analysis regarding algorithms and toothbrushes, yes
it's a hoky analogy and as I stated several times, no I'm not a lawyer.  But
neither are you, Lee, correct?  What's more, in his reply to my original
message, Greg Broiles, A LAWYER, stated:

>Well, I am a lawyer, and your conclusions are correct. The "buy one
>product and throw it away but 'keep the license'" theory is attractive
>but DOES NOT WORK IN THE UNITED STATES. If it did, there'd be no reason
>to buy any product at all - you could just use the license from a copy
>of Netscape or IE browsers, available for free, to legitimize your
>RSA/OpenSSL implementation. Does that pass the "common sense test"?

Again, I don't mean any disrespect at all, but this is at least the second
time on this list that you've advised people that they really don't need to
be concerned with whether or not they're violating some other company's
patent rights.  Your demeanor suggests that you don't take such things
seriously (c.f. your exhoration to me to "lighten up"), but my suggestion is
that they should be taken seriously; that's all.  I think that's reasonable.

Dave Neuer
Software Engineer
Futuristics Labs, Inc.
www.futuristics.net