Andrew Cooke wrote:

> Hi,
>

> However, it seems to me that it would be better if the verifier had only
> the root CA certificate, and the verifiee supplied not just its
> certificate, but the intermediate certs in the chain.  In this way, the
> verifier would not need updating if intermediate certs changed (the
> verifiee would have to get new certs anyway, if an intermediate cert was
> revoked).  Is this possible?  And if not, is there a good reason why not
> (like it's a gaping security hole)?

This has always been possible and it was a gaping security hole.

One thing you have to check is to make sure the chain you get passed
hasn't been illegally "lengthened" by someone using their end user
certificate and private key to masquerade as a CA or possible several
CAs.

To do this properly you have to check the intermediate certificates
really are CA certificates and do some consistency checking and
workarounds for broken CAs. This is not easy to do.

Anyway. I've added checks like these and some things like trust settings
to the latest development code. This is quite a hefty change in the way
things are done and it needs extensive testing but all being well
something usable will be in 0.9.5.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson.   http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/