md5 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to get s_client to present a client side
> certificate when requested by and IIS web server.
>
> so i believe the following syntax should work:
>
> OpenSSL>s_client -cert myCert.cer -key myPriv.key -connect
> www.host.com:443
>
> My problem is how to get the private key belonging to a certificate into
> PEM (base 64?) format.  I can export a PKCS#12 object from netscape and
> import it into OpenSSL using the:
>
> OpenSSL>pkcs12 -in myP12.p12
>
> .. command.  So now, I believe i need to issue a command that takes the
> p12 object and extracts the private key in PEM format to a file that I can
> use with s_client.
>
> Am I close?

Fairly close :-)

openssl pkcs12 -in myP12.p12 -out clcert.pem -clcerts
openssl pkcs12 -in myP12.p12 -out cacerts.pem -cacerts -nokeys

This will pull the necessary private key, user certificate and CA
certificate(s) into separate files.

Then:

openssl s_client -cert clcert.pem -CAfile cacerts.pem ...

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson.   http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/
Personal Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]