At 13:09 05.01.00 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
Hallo,

>I'm using openssl 0.9.4 on Sparc Solaris 2.6/2.7 for a webserver like
>process which must recognize customers from a simple username/password
>scheme or from a client certificate.

>The customer 'subscription' is stored in a database where the username
>is the unique identifier.

>1) When using a client certificate I guess the unique username must be
>stored in the certificate right ? Is the field Common Name (CN) used for
>this purpose ? Am I guaranteed that this field is unique or is this up
>to the CA issuing the certificate?

No, that is just the name of the user.
Needn't to be unique.
If the CN had to be unique it wouldn't be possible for a CA to
publish more than one certificate for a name (eg. only one Jon Smith...)

You should create a second table in you database containing a link
from a certificate to a local user account.
A good unique identifier would be the digest of the certificate...

>2) My server uses the call SSL_CTX_load_verify_locations(ssl_ctx,
>CAfile, CApath) to load the CAs.
>Is it correct that this function loads the CAs that my client
>certificates can be signed by, meaning that these are the CAs I trust?
>If the CA which signed the client certificate is not in this list, the
>client will be rejected, right ?

Only if you set the flag SSL_VERIFY_FAIL_IF_NO_PEER_CERT for the ssl.
(SSL_set_verify())

By

Goetz

--
Goetz Babin-Ebell, TC TrustCenter GmbH, http://www.trustcenter.de
Sonninstr. 24-28, 20097 Hamburg, Germany