On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Theodore Hope wrote:

> I just build OpenSSL 0.9.5, standard, on Solaris (SunOS) 5.6.
> When I run "openssl s_client -connect www.foo.bar:443" I get this:
>
>  unable to load 'random state'
>  This means that the random number generator has not been seeded
>  with much random data.
>  Consider setting the RANDFILE environment variable to point at a file that
>  'random' data can be kept in (the file will be overwritten).
>  connect: Connection refused
>  connect:errno=146
>  error in s_client
>
> On BSD machines this doesn't happen (I guess it guesses correctly that
> it can use /dev/urandom or something?).  I know I can set the RANDFILE env
> variable to something; what are other Solaris users using?

Hey, a "me too" here.

This makes sense, now.  I put 0.9.5 on Solars 2.6 and 7, and IRIX
6.5, and with Crypt::SSLeay net_ssl_test, I got errors.  On my Linux box,
I did not (which has /dev/*random).

I got some more info, too (on IRIX):

unable to load 'random state'
This means that the random number generator has not been seeded
with much random data.
Consider setting the RANDFILE environment variable to point at a file that
'random' data can be kept in (the file will be overwritten).
CONNECTED(00000003)
depth=1 /O=VeriSign Trust Network/OU=VeriSign, Inc./OU=VeriSign International Server
CA - Class 3/OU=www.verisign.com/CPS Incorp.by Ref. LIABILITY LTD.(c)97 VeriSign
verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
verify return:0
44423:error:24064064:random number generator:SSLEAY_RAND_BYTES:prng not
seeded:md_rand.c:470:
44423:error:05067003:Diffie-Hellman routines:DH_generate_key:BN lib:dh_key.c:148:
44423:error:14098005:SSL routines:SSL3_SEND_CLIENT_KEY_EXCHANGE:bad asn1 object
header:s3_clnt.c:1403:

I'm also not sure what to use for this.

Don
--
Don Badrak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>              301.457.8263 work
Telecommunications Office                    301.457.4438 fax