On Sun, 12 Mar 2000 00:27:58 -0500 in  Gary Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There is a file "serial" in the ssl directory. It increments from whatever
> number is stored in that file.

My openssl.cnf specifies a serial file, but that file is ignored when I
create a CA certificate using:

   openssl genrsa -des3 -out ca.key 1024
   openssl req -new -x509 -days 1825 -key ca.key -out ca.crt

I'm also not sure that's what MSIE is barfing on--I see that there's at
least one CA cert in Netscape that has a serial of 0 (ABA.ECOM Root CA).

Jim Lippard    [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.discord.org/
Unsolicited bulk email charge:    $500/message.   Don't send me any.
PGP Fingerprint:  0C1F FE18 D311 1792 5EA8  43C8 7AD2 B485 DE75 841C