Brian,

*smacks forehead* Sorry about the confusion - and I
admit I did reply before visiting the link in your
original post. Mea culpa. :-)

Regarding client's Digital IDs... you're right.
There's
no security there at all (based on my limited
understanding
of how they're issued and used). Even if a CA like
Verisign went to _extreme_ lengths to verify the
identity of the person applying for the id (which they
don't), I don't know of any way to stop someone from
distributing their ID to others, or making the ID
non-functional on anyone else's system.

--- Brian Snyder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Al and others,
>
> Hi.  Thanx for your response. I realize that gives
> an extra level of
> security from the **SERVER** side.
> What I am specifically referring to is the
> **client** authorization allowed
> with SSL3.0  If you look at the versisign link I
> pointed to below, it
> talks about this optional ability w/ ssl3.0, where
> the server can ask the
> client for HIS/HER certificate.  This is what I'm
> specifically
> curious about, because how would they define a
> client certificite where it
> couldn't be copied.  I suppose utilizing the same
> security as you have mentioned for server
> authentication, whereby the
> certificate is keyed to the computer in some way,
> though I couldn't
> envision this working very well... what if a person
> uses multiple computer
> (work/home) then this method wouldn't work...
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanx,
>    brian

[snip, snip]

> > Regards,
> > Al Shaver
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > --- Brian Snyder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >

> > > I have  a quick question about client
> > > authentication.

[more snippage...]