Here's something on this note that I wonder about.

Why, when the de-facto standard of internet development/protocol work is to
use open (royalty-free) protocols, did the world of SSL seem to standardize
on a patented algorithm such as SSL.  I mean SSL is totally out there for
the world to use, but this dang RSA license issue constantly pops up...
Why didnt the designers of SSL (netscape I believe)  standarized on one of
the free key exchange algs (like DH). If they made that one the defacto
standard alg, then SSL would truly be 'open'.

I wonder why didnt they do that...

  -brian