Hi all,

 I'm having trouble with x509v3 extensions: my home-made certificates do not
work for client authentication.
Netscape's complain is that "The certificate is not approved for the
attempted application", and in the apache error_log I get the following
line:
"...sslv3 alert bad certificate [Hint: Subject CN in certificate not server
name or identical to CA!?]"

IE on the other hand doesn't even show the previously imported certificate
in the popup window during the handshake, so obviously it fails.

Although I looked hard (maybe not hard enough) in the man pages and on the
web, I couldn't find any info about what extensions (with what values)
openssl actually supports.

Furthermore it seems to me - correct me if I'm wrong - , that this
certificate issue is not quite worked out as far as the browsers are
concerned. (buggy IE4, problems with critical attributes etc...)
So I was wondering, if there was a "tips&tricks manual" how to create
certificates, that both major browsers accept?

Could someone give me some links/info where to look?

Thanks,

Gabor Nyers
Unix sysadmin