It all started with a simple task to update PHP4 to the latest
release...

I have been running the following for several months now:
        Apache apache_1.3.9
        php-4.0b3
        mod_ssl-2.4.10-1.3.9
        openssl-0.9.5
        rsaref-2.0

I must admit I thrashed about a bit trying to get the correct
combination to make this. Didn't seem like it should be that hard. Now
months later I'm back, and after waaaay too much time, I'm stuck. Now
finally I have
        Apache apache_1.3.12
        php-4.0RC2
        mod_ssl-2.6.4-1.3.12
        openssl-0.9.5a
        rsaref-2.0

Everything seems to configure & make as expected. A simple invocation of
the httpd daemon (src/httpd -l) shows mod_php4 and mod_ssl available
(among others). However when I do

        src/httpd -f ~/test.conf -X

the server exits immediately and in the log I find this:

        mod_ssl: Init: Failed to generate temporary 512 bit RSA private key

The test.conf is my production config file with the log files redirected
to some safe place and I'm on a machine without any Apache server. I
have full write access to all the htdocs tree (and ..)

Has anyone stumbled into this in the past? I'd greatly appreciate a
pointer here to something new to chase. I've been running in the same
circles for too long and my hair is even grayer than before. :-(   TIA