I used openssl to developp

        - a certificate server

        - a framework to developp TLS client and server apps

        - an S/MIME Exchange client extension (to plug in Outlook,..)

All of them make a great use of

        - PKCS#1,PKCS#5
        - PKCS#7 and PKCS#10
        - PKCS#12

And I have no problem to import these objects
in external PKI apps like Netscape or CryptoApi.

Pierre De Boeck
Sr System Engineer
Mission Critical (Belgium)
Phone: +32 2 757 10 15  Fax: +32  2 759 276 0
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                      ///
                                     (. .)
---------------------------------oOO--(_)--OOo----------------------

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:De Boeck;Pierre;;;
FN:Pierre De Boeck
ORG:Mission Critical
TITLE:Sr System Engineer
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+32 (2) 757.10.15
TEL;HOME;VOICE:+32 2 7594496
TEL;WORK;FAX:+32 2 759 27 60
ADR;WORK:;;Avenue Claire 27;Waterloo;;1410;Belgium
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Avenue Claire 27=0D=0AWaterloo,  1410=0D=0ABelgium
ADR;HOME:;;Dekenijstraat 21 BUS;;6;;Belgium
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Dekenijstraat 21 BUS=0D=0A, 6 =0D=0ABelgium
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
REV:19990421T075946Z
END:VCARD