OK, I'll bite... under what conditions will die_if_ssl_error be made
autoloadable?

I can call the get_https function with the SAME set of arguments from
the same perl package (I have my own "WebGet" package that I use
internally at work for fetching pages from HTTP or HTTPS servers).

Setting stuff up in debug mode, I print out the argument list I'm
going to call get_https with, and they're identical. Is there any way
to FORCE it NOT to autoload die_if_ssl_error?

Here's the debug output in the case where it works. In both cases,
this debug output is printed out RIGHT before my WebGet.pm package
calls out to:

         ($page,$response,%reply_headers) =
             get_https($host,$port,$location,$header_string);

[ I'm using $header_string and not make_headers only because I had
removed that code in the process of debugging, and after I found out
what it did I didn't bother putting it back ]

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong, and
what I should do to correct it?

$ ./db_test.pl
HOST: pp1.yahoo.com PORT: 443 LOCATION: /
HEADER_STRING:
--------------
Host: my.secure.yahoo.com
--------------
OK

... And In the case where it fails:

$ ./test.sh
HOST: pp1.yahoo.com PORT: 443 LOCATION: /
HEADER_STRING:
--------------
Host: my.secure.yahoo.com
--------------
Argument "pp1.yahoo.com" isn't numeric in entersub at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-freebsd/Net/SSLeay.pm line
342.
Ambiguous call resolved as CORE::connect(), qualify as such or use &
at blib/lib/Net/SSLeay.pm (autosplit into
blib/lib/auto/Net/SSLeay/open_tcp_connection.al) line 1034.
Argument "/etc/passwd" isn't numeric in entersub at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-freebsd/Net/SSLeay.pm line
342.
Use of uninitialized value at blib/lib/Net/SSLeay.pm (autosplit into
blib/lib/auto/Net/SSLeay/https_cat.al) line 1265.
Use of uninitialized value at blib/lib/Net/SSLeay.pm (autosplit into
blib/lib/auto/Net/SSLeay/https_cat.al) line 1266.
Use of uninitialized value at blib/lib/Net/SSLeay.pm (autosplit into
blib/lib/auto/Net/SSLeay/https_cat.al) line 1310.
Use of uninitialized value at blib/lib/Net/SSLeay.pm (autosplit into
blib/lib/auto/Net/SSLeay/https_cat.al) line 1313.