Well, for one thing, this isn't a legal request.  See RFC 2616.

Off the top of my head, I note that:

1. The HTTP-Version component of the Request-Line MUST be of the form

        "HTTP" "/" version-major "." version-minor

ie. "HTTP/1.1".

2. HTTP/1.1 Request-Lines that don't have a fully-qualified URL MUST be
followed by a Host: header somewhere in the request.

3. Are you sure your client (your telnet client, in this case) is correctly
terminating each line of the request with CRLF, and terminating the whole
request with an additional CRLF?

But the main problem here is that you don't understand the HTTP/1.1
Persistent Connection mechanism.  The server MUST close the connection after
sending the response if the client did not include a valid Keep-alive header
requesting a persistent connection.  (The server MAY close the connection
after returning the response even if the client did request a persistent
connection; it's not bound by the client's request.)

This isn't a OpenSSL problem.

Michael Wojcik             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MERANT
Department of English, Miami University