HI!

I'm currently trying to parse the X.509v3 certificate extensions
with the help of an ASN.1 parser module for Python. I'm somewhat
stuck into detail problems since I'm a total ASN.1 newbie. Maybe I
have misunderstood some concepts.

If I'm parsing the extensions do I have to use a-priori knowledge
(e.g. definitions in RFC2459) to transform hard-coded to an
appropriate data structure on my local platform? Or should I avoid
applying such a-priori knowledge?

Any hint is appreciated.

Ciao, Michael.