From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2000 12:43 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: random generator on solaris

From: Sanjeev Jha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

sjha> To better understand the problem, let me tell you error messages -->
sjha> While running stunnel or openssl key generation (even after egd
sjha> installtion on solaris-7 with random path option)-->
sjha>
sjha> # openssl req -new -x509 -nodes -out stunnel.pem -keyout stunnel.pem
sjha> Using configuration from /usr/local/ssl/openssl.cnf
sjha> unable to load 'random state'
sjha> This means that the random number generator has not been seeded
sjha> with much random data.
sjha> Generating a 1024 bit RSA private key
sjha> 21350:error:24064064:random number generator:SSLEAY_RAND_BYTES:PRNG
not
sjha> seeded:m
sjha> d_rand.c:538:
sjha> 21350:error:04069003:rsa routines:RSA_generate_key:BN
lib:rsa_gen.c:182:
sjha> #

You have to tell openssl where the egd named socket is, either with
the switch -rand, through the environment variable RANDFILE or through
the configuration keyword RANDFILE.

All OpenSSL utilities that look for a randomness file will check if
they can open the randomfile as a AF_UNIX socket, and will then assume
it's an egd named socket.  If that fails, it will attempt to use the
given file as a regular file.

sjha> Now while installing egd-0.8 on solaris-8,
sjha> # perl Makefile.PL
sjha>  SHA module not found. We will install our own.
sjha> Writing Makefile for SHA
sjha> Warning: overwriting endian.h
sjha> Writing Makefile for egd
sjha> # make
sjha> cc -c   -O     -DVERSION=\"1.2\"  -DXS_VERSION=\"1.2\" -KPIC
sjha> -I/usr/perl5/5.0050
sjha> 3/i86pc-solaris/CORE  SHA.c
sjha> /usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
Duh.

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Chairman@Stacken   \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.