All,

I have a report in front of me commissioned by someone in my company to
review our CA/PKI system.  Frankly I'm not too happy about it and would like
some bitingly worded and technically brilliant responses to support our use
of OpenSSL which I would like to continue.

The push of the report is to move away from openss to a vendor solution.
I've had a cursory look over some vendor products like baltimore, identrus
and iplanet and haven't been too impressed with any of the bells and
whistles they offer like vendor specific browser apps and client private key
escrow in proprietary databases.  I was very impressed by Iplanet's pre
sales "technical" sales guys telling me they didn't use Xenroll.dll to
install certs in IE browsers with their certificate management software (as
I do with my CA), they use OSPF! and suggest we _force_ all of our clients
to use netscape browser anyway. Some other unnamed company expect you to
think adding %30 to the price of their already pricey software is justified
if it lets you use "advanced features" (ie x509v3 extended attribute).  I
guess people that have never used openssl would be impressed.

Is there anyone on the list who has done a more rigourous comparison of
commercial systems Vs. OpenSSL?  Either out of the box openssl executables
or custom written apps using the libraries?  An independant review of
commercial CA's would be the ultimate resource here and I can add on the
features possible with openssl based apps/scripts.

Any help as always greatly appreciated.

Dereck Charles.