Hello, All.
In my attempts to learn more about the certificate verification process,
I have been looking at the apps/* code, the manpages, and the release
docs - not to mention the OpenSSL site.  The closest thing I have found
to any documentation on the SSL_CTX_set_verify_depth() routine is the
following, taken from the CHANGES file in the 0.9.6 distribution:

  *) Support verify_depth from the SSL API.
     x509_vfy.c had what can be considered an off-by-one-error:
     Its depth (which was not part of the external interface)
     was actually counting the number of certificates in a chain;
     now it really counts the depth.
     [Bodo Moeller]

This doesn't really tell you what it is supposed to do.  Of course that
isn't what a CHANGES file is for either. :)

As I understand it, the verify depth associated with an SSL connection
specifies the number of steps taken before verification can succeed.
Any failures along the way causes a verification failure.  The callback
routine specified in the SSL_CTX_set_verify() call (or SSL_set_verify()
for a specific connection) is required to get specific information about
why the verification failed.

I wonder if there is any info regarding the specifics of the verify
depth, and is the call to SSL_CTX_set_verify_depth() even necessary?  If
not, what is being sacrificed, if anything?  What are the possible
values? etc.  If there is documentation that spells these things out, I
have been unable to find it, so please feel free to just point me to it.

Searches on the list archives for SSL_CTX_set_verify_depth,
set_verify_depth, and verify_depth, have not produced any messages that
deal with this call specifically.

TIA
Lou