You may look at what's happenning on wxWindows; some guys there are building
an SSLSession class that will do excatly that; of course this is done in the
wxWindows world, but this part (like wxSocket and wxIPC) is not related in
any way with the GUI partt of wxWindows, but benefit from the cross-platform
philosophy.

The best should be to brows the wx-users mailing list (start from
http://www.wxwindows.org).

HTH

        Bernard

Bernard Dautrevaux