David Schwartz wrote:

> > That is not a restriction on the right to "copy, distribute or modify",
> > now is it?
>
>         Yes, it is.
>
> > All it restricts is your ability to advertise: i.e. if you
> > advertise yourself, you must also advertise us. A bit like a GPL for the
> > PR space :-)
>
>         Umm, no. That makes no sense.
>
>         If I say, "If you wish to do X, you must agree to do Y if you do Z" that is
> a restriction on your ability to do X. If you didn't do X, you could do Y
> without doing Z. If you do X, you cannot do Y without doing Z.
>
>         The restriction on your ability to advertise is one you must accept if you
> wish to distribute the code. So it's a restriction on your ability to
> distribute the code, namely that you must accept the advertising
> restriction.

I've just reread your original post, and I see you are arguing that you
cannot distribute a combined work under the GPL. This is, of course,
true. However, the _question_ was "[is it] possible to include BSD
licensed code in a product, that is released under the GPL." This
question is somewhat ambiguous, but I took it to mean "can I release
some code under GPL that links to OpenSSL and include OpenSSL in the
tarball" - and the answer is "yes", IMO.

I'm not convinced by your argument that accepting the advertising
restriction restricts your ability to distribute the code, since you are
always free to accept the advertising restriction, and hence can always
distribute the code. But this is not relevant to the question, anyway.

Finally, I should point out, once more, that we (that is, the OpenSSL
team) _cannot_ change Eric's licence, so we can _do nothing_ about
advertising clauses. Hence, it would make sense for the community to
find ways to live with this instead of attempting to apply pressure on
us to fix the unfixable.

Cheers,

Ben.

--