"Visionary Website Creations, Inc." wrote:

> At 11:07 PM 11/20/00 +0000, you wrote:
> >There should be either a load of trusted certificates in a single file
> >or a directory containing them. If you are using client authentication
> >then it may try to read the whole lot in. If one is corrupt then this
> >could be a problem.
> >
> >Actually now I look at the error message:
> >
> >error:0B067002:x509 certificate routines:X509_add_cert_file:system lib
> >
> >I can't find the relevant function in OpenSSL: does it give *exactly*
> >the same error? If so then I suggest you get the function to print out
> >the file it is trying to load when it gets the error and then examine
> >it.
> >
> >Alternatively try using the s_server utility as a test server to check
> >it works OK.
> >

> Thank you for your help.  Prior to trying your suggestions this morning, I
> received a message from a Thawte rep asking if I had tried a test cert on
> the system. I had not tried a test cert, but I have now. Initially it
> failed just the way that the original cert had, but I decided to try
> several certificate types to see if that was the problem.  It ended up
> working with the "Test X509v1 SSL Cert".  For a website that doesn't need
> anything more than a "standard" SSL connection, does the X509v3 offer any
> more security or other differences above the x509v1?  If deemed important
> to change to an X509v3 format, can OpenSSL handle it?

Yes OpenSSL can handle v3 format. Indeed v1 format should be avoided
where possible because it is somewhat restrictive and has some security
issues.

Can you try the certificate with s_server:

openssl s_server -www -cert certfile -key keyfile -port 443

and see if you get any errors with that? You should also be able to
connect to it using a web browser and get a status page.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson.   http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/
Personal Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]