A developer among our team has informed us that OpenSSL
cannot generate 40 bit keys (48 bit is the bare minimum).
Is this true?

We need a good library for SSL communications under VC6.
I haven't spent too much time with OpenSSL myself but from
the looks of it, the documentation is poor. I don't want to bother
wasting my time trying to gather the information that I (and the
rest of our team) needs. Our company has no objection in
purchasing something that will ease our development.

Would any among you recommend a suitable alternative to OpenSSL
and state the reasons why the recommendation.
Would any among you say that OpenSSL is the best solution
(if the statement on my first line above is not true).

Many thanks,

Angelo