Hi !

I agree with your answer, but the main problem is users are not informed
about what is the "lock symbol", they think the "transaction" is secured and
not the "client/server transaction" is secured. The big problem in France is
the translation of the 'Do you trust this site' dialog. The english
translation of the french sentence is something like "Do not trust the
certificat editor or - more like perhaps  - the cerficat editor is unknown"
(IE5).
So it's very difficult to ask to the credit card number if the user can not
trust to (because IE 5 told that) the "certificat editor".

So we have no choice we have to buy a "trusted" certificat ... A very good
market for certificats salers .... isn't it ?

What is very funny is people think that credit card number are
crypted/secured because of the lock symbol but often the credit card number
is sent to a cgi that send it to a "normal" mailbox and/or bcc/forward to
several mailboxes/users over the net !!!

So what it would usefull for final users is no a "trusted" cerficat but a
"trusted" e-commerce system.

(excuse me for my bad english ...)