I want to create a root certificate and a server certificate
with openssl.  These will be used with iPlanet Web Server 4.1

I created the root, using CA.pl.  I then created a certificate
request with the web server, signed and installed the root
and the server certificate.

This doesn't work.  The web server refuses to start.  I see these
problems:

in the log it claims there is a missing attribute field in the server
sert (errors.log for the web server)

in the certificate management area of the web server the root shows up as a
'client root', whatever that means.

So....  what fields must be set in a root?  I might be missing some.
What fields must be set in a server certificate?

I tried looking in the email archives but none of the searchable
archives helped much looking for this.  Pardon me if this has been
answered before.  Note: there's no "download the archive as one
big slab of text" archive, so I couldn't do extreme search techniques...