> P.S. Anyone know where the X.509 V3 spec can be found (without
> having to purchase all $92 of it from ansidocstore which seems
> a little excessive particularly as I've already got the '88 spec)?

Hoyt Kesterson, one of the editors, and Groupe Bull have been making
pre-publication drafts available for some time.  (Once balloted and
approved, they're removed from the FTP area.)  He announce sthis on the
PKIX mailing list.  At any rate, you can find useful things like the V4
final draft, etc., within:
        ftp://ftp.bull.com/pub/OSIdirectory/