On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Hellan,Kim KHE wrote:

> Hi Vadim
>
> Maybe this is a stupid question, but to make a CA signed certificate do you
> then first have to make a selfsigned certificate and then get the CA to sign
> that certificate?

To sign something, a private (rsa) key is required only and X509_sign()
will do that. One should fill details into cert_info of X509 before
signing and specify hash algorithm.

> As far as I can see, this is how certify_cert() works.

One can pickup subject's public key and name from the self-signed
certificate as an option.

> But anyway, do you have any hints about what I should do to get from X.509
> "parts" I already have loaded to a self-signed or CA-signed certificate.

The difference is issuer name and private key used for signing

regards,
Vadim