Hello,

I'm writing a SCEP server implementation, which in automatic mode
is   expected   to   produce   a   certificate   if  the  request
challengePassword is  ok.  As  the  SCEP  server  mostly  handles
requests and certificates in DER format, the script that does the
signing first uses openssl req to convert the request from DER to
PEM,  then  openssl  ca  to  create  the certificate, and finally
openssl x509 to convert back from PEM to DER.  The  script  works
beautifully  when  run manually, I use it to implement the manual
SCEP mode. But when I fork and  exec  it  from  the  SCEP  server
(which  of course does a lot of openssl processing before it gets
that far), the openssl req always fails with an error message of

    /usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl req -config /usr/local/lib/scep/openscep.cnf -in
/usr/local/lib/scep/pending/6F257C4A98C36B4F166E634EB571CF85 -inform DER -out
/var/tmp/request.25746
    Using configuration from /usr/local/lib/scep/openscep.cnf
    unable to load X509 request
    25749:error:0D06B078:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_get_object:header too
long:asn1_lib.c:139:

Starting the same command  manually  (by  just  copy-pasting  the
command  to  a  shell  prompt) produces the expected result. What
causes openssl req to fail with a perfectly  legal  command  that
works under most other circumstances?

I did some  (so)trussing  (on  Solaris  8)  and  could  not  find
anything abnormal, as far as openssl req gets.

Mit herzlichem Gruss

                                        Andreas Mueller

--
Dr. Andreas Mueller, Beratung und Entwicklung
Bubental 53,              CH - 8852 Altendorf