Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 12:31 PM
Subject: RE:Oracle wallet Manger and Being my own CA

I called Oracle and asked the same question.  They said that is was a bug in their client software that prevent SSL V3 from being acceptable.  So I dropped it down to SSL V1, and all works fine.

Original message below--------------

Oracle has a handy little tool called Oracle Wallet Manager (OWM), and by
'handy' I mean  'pain in the neck.'  Anyways, in order to secure your
transmissions via the oracle client you have to use the OWM.  Right!  I am
not going to go into detail about OWM.  Suffice it to say that when you
create a wallet, in OWM, it creates a key and a csr (which are not inter
changeable with other KEY/CSR/CRT pairs.) So, I want to become my own CA so
I can sign my own certs with out having to pay big money to VeriSign or
Thawte.  So I followed the instruction on using openssl and CA.pl to create
my own self signed root CA. All goes well!  Then I try to import my self
signed root CA (cacert.pem) into the OWM as a trust point and it fails
saying that the cert is invalid.  I then tried to import the same cacert.pem
into MSIE.  It works fine.  I then export the cert form MSIE to x509 etc
format and import it back into OWM.  It fails again.  I have searched hi and
lo for info on what type of format OWM expects for its trust point certs.  I
have had success importing the Thawte and VeriSign test certs.  So I am
wondering, am I doing something wrong as the CA?  I have tried exporting the
cacert.pem to DER format and still no-go.  Am I using the correct cert
(cacert.pem) as the CA?  Does anyone else have any experience with being
their own CA and OWM?

--
#  Christian Ullman