My server is doing client authentication.  My client is also using verify
peer.  When the client attempts to connect it gets a certificate from the
server and continues on.  The server is not recieving a certificate from the
client so it is failing.  The client attempts to write to the server but the
SSL_write fails because the server has failed.  How can I stop the client
before attempting to write to the server.  Shouldn't the client fail on its
connect if the handshake is not successful on both ends.

Thanks,
George