I have created a client certificate with the openssl ca command and noticed
that a SSL code
which I have broke when it parsed the cert data.

The reason was that it expected a PrintableString tag 0x13 instead of the
T61String (Teletex)
tag 0x14 which openssl apparently inserted.  The whole field tag was the
subject common name
0x55 0x04 0x03 0x14 (!!) 0x(asciiLen) (ASCII data)

Any clues why only this field had a 0x14 descriptor, while all others had
the expected 0x13?
Or is this a bug in openssl?

Reference: ITU-T X.690 ISO/IEC 8824-1 : 1998 pp. 43 "Definition of
restricted character string
types".

Regards,   Martin

Phone +49 (7031) 16-2535