On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 05:34:09PM +1000, Alex Cosic wrote:
>> I have problem in understanding the command  RAND_load_file(RANDOM,
>> 64*1024);
>> where  RANDOM is "randomfile.pem". I do not know how to design that
>> particular file. Second, is it necessary that this file is changed on
each
>> time I run my SSL program? I am using win32 platform.

>The file is read to seed the random number generator. It should contain
>data, that cannot be known/predicted by an attacker. It does not have a
>special format, just "unknown/random" bytes. Do you have a microphone
>on your computer? record some noise, it should contain quite some entropy.

>As the random numbers are generated from this file and they should be
different
>all the time, the contents of the file should be exchanged/updated between
>calls...

Where I could find some basic about creation of random number for openssl. I
have read 1 page from SSLeay documentation, which is very vague. In
particular what size of the file I have to design. For example in the "SSL
and TLS - Designing and building Secure Systems" by Eric Rescola I have
found:

 RAND_load_file(RANDOMFILE,1024*1024);

How whoud I know what size of the file I need?

In the article of RSA Pseudo Random Number Generator by RSA it was given an
example to seed 64 bit of
DES key is recommended  to collect a seed pool of 56 random bytes (a 64 DES
key comprises 56 effective bits, the rest being parity bits) and then select
56 random bits from this  seed pool.

Or in openssl manual we have:

"The state should be very large. If the RNG is being used to generate 4096
bit RSA keys, 2 2048 bit random strings are required (at a minimum). If your
RNG state only has 128 bits, you are obviously limiting the search space to
128 bits, not 2048. I'm probably getting a little carried away on this last
point but it does indicate that it may not be a bad idea to keep quite a lot
of RNG state. It should be easier to break a cipher than guess the RNG seed
data. ".

Ok, so how would I know  what size of file I have to create?

You also suggested that the content of the file should be exchanged /updated
between calls. So some sort of deamon program is necessary for the good
operation in that case? Do I need anaother  random file on the client side?
If I need that, than   whether is  possible that  a hacker could  use the
file  to hack   the system?

Thank in advance

Alex Cosic