On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 09:22:34AM -0400, Robert Pungello wrote:
> I am trying to get the SSL/TLS alert code for various errors but am having
> trouble doing so.  Suppose I get the following error string:
>
> error:1408A0C1:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:no shared cipher
>
> I know this is a handshake_failure alert number 40, but I'm having
> determining this information programmatically.  I have been trying to
> access the warn_alert and/or fatal_alert fields of the ssl3_state_st
> structure to get at the code.  However, when I access these fields they
> have been set to zero, presumably because upon failure a close_notify has
> been sent.  Is there a function call I'm missing that returns the actual
> alert/warning that caused the premature close?  Thanks in advance.

The error message you are seeing says:
* You are on the server side (because it happens in the SSL3_GET_CLIENT_HELLO
  stage; only the server _gets_ the client hello, the client sends it).
* Your server has decided that there is no shared cipher in the client hello.
  See "man SSL_CTX_set_cipher_list" or better look up
    http://www.openssl.org/docs/ssl/SSL_CTX_set_cipher_list.html
  as new information was added since the release of 0.9.6b.

Best regards,
        Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/