On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 07:55:13AM -0700, Steven Schaefer wrote:
> I'm not at a location to access the account that receives the subscription
> mail today so please CC this account on a reply, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I'm kind of delving over which way I should implement buffering.
> I looked through some of the source code and found in bf_buff.c
>
> #define DEFAULT_BUFFER_SIZE 1024

>From CHANGES:
 Changes between 0.9.6a and 0.9.6b  [9 Jul 2001]
  *) In crypto/bio/bf_buff.c, increase DEFAULT_BUFFER_SIZE to 4096
     (previously it was 1024).
     [Bodo Moeller]

> the code appears to use this as the buffer size before calling the
> underlying routine ( SSL_write ) in my case.
>
> What is the reasoning for 1024?  Or do the encryption routines like a 1024
> data segment?  "openssl.cnf" configuration file has a name=value pair of
> "default_bits=1024" is there an association here?  Or simply this has worked
> best in the past.  If my memory serves me right doesn't each of the
> encryption algorithms dictate there own max memory size that it will encrypt
> in each message it sends over the network.

It's a compromise between memory usage and efficiency. SSL_write() can
send up to 16kB in one chunk (TLS specification).

Best regards,
        Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/